|Quick sketch by Gus L. during play|
These are the capabilities that the 10th level monk-fighter ended up with:
- 2d6 + 1 open hand damage
- 2 attacks per round
- Self-heal 1/day 1d4 + 4 HP (takes one turn)
- Wuxia jump (10' vertical)
- Saving throw to punch mundane missiles out of the air
The 2 attacks + high damage might seem like a lot in a LotFP context (and it is), but striking something with your hand opens you up to certain dangers that I would certainly run with (for example, punching something with acidic skin).
It worked out well, and I would use it again. Possible changes and additions:
- Improve the self-heal, to 1d4 + level available from level 1.
- Wuxia jump would also probably be 10' + 1' per level.
- An ability for running up walls patterned after the specialist's climb skill.
- Rather than make two attacks, the monk could attempt a single stunning strike which would paralyze a humanoid target on a failed saving throw (recovery on 1 in 6, checked per round).
I gave no AC bonus and would not change that. Monks can wear armor if they want to, with appropriate penalties. The unarmed strike damage would be lower at the beginning and progress with level.
Postscript: rolling for appearance randomly is fantastic. The player opted to do that and the character ended up as: Mature Male, Immaculate, Obese. How many PCs do you often see like that?